HEALTH EDUCATION: In the Beach..Toddler almost loses toe after mystery beach infection

HEALTH EDUCATION: In the Beach..Toddler almost loses toe after mystery beach infection

A mum is warning parents to be careful letting their children play on the beach barefoot due after her toddler’s toe became so horrifically infected it was flayed and almost amputated.

She said wanted to raise awareness of the risks of playing barefoot outdoors.

Mum Amy-Leigh Cavanagh, partner Ian McCart and Alea-Jay McCart, four, and Aria McCart, 18 months, were enjoying a family day out at the beach SOURCE THE SUN

Little Aria McCart’s left big toe began to leak puss and swell to over twice its normal size, appearing ‘adult-sized’ on her tiny, 18-month-old foot, following a family day out to Ardrossan beach, in Scotland on July 24,2017.

Image Daily Mail It swelled to twice its size.

The one-year-old was hospitalised and quarantined for two nights after running a fever and suffering agonising pain from the swelling – resulting in the emergency removal of her toe’s skin and on part of her foot.

Little Aria’s day at the beach turned into a massive ordeal for her family. Photo: Caters Source au yahoo

The dance school owner said: ‘Aria was playing away in and out of the water. She had no shoes on, she was having an absolute ball.

‘We were there at the beach for the afternoon and left about four o’clock.

‘She had sand everywhere, it was in her eye lashes and everywhere so when we got home I gave her a bath.

‘When I picked her up I could feel her body was on fire, even though she was just out of the bath, I could tell it wasn’t right.

‘Her lips had started going a bit blue and she was moaning and started crying. This was about two hours after we got back from the beach.

‘She was feverish and lethargic. I just thought she was coming down with a cold. I called NHS 24 for advice but they said I was doing all the right things.

‘Then on the Thursday [three days later] I noticed her limping. I lifted her up to see there was a bruise on her foot, then I noticed her wee toe was a bit red.’

The adorable tot was hospitalised and quarantined for two days after the incident at Ardrossan beach Source THE SUN

Amy-Leigh said she took her daughter to University Hospital Crosshouse, where she was immediately admitted.

She says surgeons swiftly decided that an operation was necessary to stem the ‘poison’ from tracking further into the little girl’s body and to save her toe.

And the shocked mum claims she was stunned to learn from doctors that her daughter’s dangerous infection could well have been thanks to her innocently playing in sand and sea water with bare feet.

Her toe started to swell up in the days that followed. Photo: Caters 

“They were asking me all sorts of crazy questions like had she been into contact with any chemicals or anything. They weren’t 100 per cent sure what the infection was,” she said.

“When we saw the main doctor he thought about the beach. He said anything could be in the sand. It could have been a bite, chemicals or even dog urine, that’s got through a tiny cut.

“Something had got into it that’s poisonous. When they operated they had to remove all the skin from her toe and part of her foot where the infection was.

Her mother Amy-Leigh Cavanagh, 26, claims her daughter’s mystery infection might have resulted from dogs urinating on the beach without their owners realising it SOURCE Daily Mail

After two nights in hospital, Aria could thankfully return home, but according to Amy-leigh her little one still can’t walk on her foot.

The skin of her toe was removed after it began to leak puss and swell Source THE SUN

“It’s upsetting. It was horrible. I didn’t know something like that could happen. I just want to raise some awareness.

‘When we saw the main doctor he thought about the beach.

‘He said anything could be in the sand. It could have been a bite, chemicals or even dog urine, that’s got through a tiny cut.

‘Something had got into it that’s poisonous.


Amy-leigh Cavanagh and her daughter Aria Image Daily Mail

Mum Amy-leigh Cavanagh, 26, believes her daughter’s mystery infection might have come from dog urine left on the beach.

And now, with Aria still in pain and struggling to walk more than two weeks after her beach trip, Amy-leigh is urging people to take care and wear shoes when playing outdoors.

“If people are on beaches with dogs too, they probably don’t realize as well what their dogs’ urine could do.”

Source:

au.be.yahoo

Daily Mail

Related Post


What are your thoughts?