What is Scalp dryness and why does it occur?
Scalp dryness: All about it
Without us knowing it, the skin from our body falls off and is renewed every 27-28 days. Due to various factors and conditions like hygiene and stress, dandruff can be seen on head. A dry scalp is characteristically one where the patient suffers from itchiness and a flaky skin. Due to hair, we cannot see the red and scaly scalp. It has been said that dry scalp can occur due to excessive shampooing or conditioning of hair.
The sebaceous glands present in skin produce oil sebum which helps lubricate the scalp. Scalp dryness lessens the production of sebum, and thus aggravates the problem. Thus proper care of hair should be taken, failing to take good care may lead to mild irritation, flaking of skin and itchiness.
Conditions responsible for dry scalp and flakiness
There can be several conditions associated with dry scalp and flakiness. Dry scalp may arise from cold weather due to lack of humidity or due to eczema– a skin disease. Let’s list the conditions which lead to dry scalp.
- Changes in weather-During winters, the humidity present in the air is low. This leads to the problem of skin dryness. This may lead to itching on scalp and small flakes.
- Hot Showers– While there is nothing comforting than a hot bath/shower, taking hot showers too many times only aggravates scalp damage. The extreme temperature of hot water breaks down the lipids in skin, leading to dryness and flakes on hair.
- Exposure to sun– Any kind of exposure to heat may lead to the problem of dry scalp. Lower the exposure with covering your head.
- Coarse soaps and detergents- shampoos and detergents having anti-bacterial agents in them tend to shred lipid and dehydrate skin. Mild shampoos and herbal shampoos are helpful.
- AC’s/Central Heating– Continuous exposure to central heating or cooling tends to reduce the moisture in skin, and leads to irritation and itching. Avoid a big swing in your environmental temperature.
- Seborrheic Dermatitis– Commonly known as Dandruff, this form of skin problem affects areas with more oil concentration.
- Plaque Psoriasis– A common form of psoriasis occurring anywhere on skin, it produces white scales and reddish scales. Symptoms include dry skin, itchy scalp, bleeding and soreness.
- Malassezia Folliculitis– A fungus living on scalp, this feeds on oil secreted by hair follicles and go out of control. It irritates skin, and grows more skin cells.
Problems arising from Dry scalp:
A dry scalp leads to various problems, some of which are listed below:
- Small flakes of dry skin, like dandruff.
- Irritation and dryness
- Scalp damages like affecting the look of hair & dandruff.
- Shredding lipid and water off skin
- ‘Cradle caps’ which causes yellowish, greasy skin rashes occurring in infants.
- Reddish plaques and white scales on scalp
- Bleeding and soreness
Curing Dry Scalp
Getting dandruff is usual not only among humans but also among animals such as pets. Almost all of us experience this infuriating problem at least once in a life. Although it is not a health threatening condition but still it makes people very uncomfortable. Dandruff is noticeable even from naked eyes, especially if the person has black hairs or wearing a black dress.
People who experience persistent dandruff problem use home remedies for dandruff while some use severe methods to treat it. However, it is important to keep in mind that scalp skin is quite sensitive and severe use of chemicals can cause some serious skin side-effects. Therefore, lot of care should be taken when using different methods to get rid of dandruff.
Notably, a person suffering from dry scalp might also have oily skin, which limits treatment options. Shampoos that contain antibacterial and anti-fungal agent zinc pyrithione are known to reduce agents causing dandruff. Essentially, treating hair gently does the trick.
The use of hair dryers, curling wands, flat iron etc aggravates the problem. Usage of these devices creates unnecessary tension and pulling on the hair root leading to hair fall and problems like that.
- Type of Scalp- While tending to a dry scalp, it always helps to know the root cause. Treatments used to cure dandruff may not always be useful as the cause for dryness might be an altogether different bacterium or infection. It is essential to determine the type of scalp you have: dry or oily. Checking the type of scalp is quite easy because we have same facial skin as our scalp. So, if your facial skin is oily then your scalp skin tends to be oily also. If your skin is dry( arid, cracked or flaky skin), then your scalp must be dry (flaky) as well. Green tea is known to help by reducing inflammation and regulating the life cycle of skin cells.
- Moisturize- In case you have a dry skin and experiencing too much dandruff, then the best solution is to moisturize your scalp. It has been noticed that shampooing too much leads to dry scalp. Once experienced, one should ideally lower down the number of times they wash hair each week. It is also very necessary to use the right shampoo. The trick is to get a moisturizing shampoo which contains emollients and oils, and less chemicals and use it in every 2 to 3 days. After using the shampoo to remove the dirt, use conditioner to balance the pH of your hair and bring back shine to it. Conditioners customized to treat dry scalp is also essential and helpful. Use lukewarm water while rinsing the lather off, using hot water dries the scalp. Leave-in conditioners (the kinds which you don’t have to wash off) help a lot.It is very important to add moisture to hair in order to fight dry scalps. Using oils- especially olive and coconut, helps a lot. Massaging the scalp with a little oil, moisturizes and lubricates it, and also helps the pores to open up and produce more natural oils.
- Oily scalp- In case you have an oily scalp skin, then it is highly necessary to look for an anti-dandruff shampoo that is produced for oily skin. Use the anti-dandruff shampoo in every 1 or 2 days if the dandruff is persistent. You may also use a light conditioner after using the shampoo for repairing the damaged the scalp and hair.
- Weather– Be cautious when you experience an extreme weather. Extreme heat/cold, winds, sunshine damage scalps. Try wearing a hat in these circumstances, add oil to hair and make sure that you don’t spend too much time outdoors.
- Conditioning– When a scalp fails to produce enough natural oils (sebum), the condition of dry scalp happens. Nourish dry scalp with hot oil treatment or deep conditioning prepared at home (read latter part for home remedies). Deep conditioning twice a week relieves itchy scalps.
- Switch shampoo– Generally harsh shampoos may be the reasons of dry scalp. In that case, switch to shampoos which are mild in nature, try herbal shampoos for instance. Shampoo every alternate day with warm water, avoid hair gel, hair mousse and other hair styling products containing alcohol and don’t use blow dryers or other electronic styling appliances.
- Scalp massages– Simply treat yourself with a scalp massage. Massage your scalp as you shampoo or use warm oil to do so. Gently massage scalp and don’t scratch with fingernails. It helps getting over the dryness and relaxes you too!
- Dietary structure– Want to get rid of dry scalp? Abhor all that is sugary. Too much sugar leads to dry flakes, so cut down the sweet cravings. Too much spicy, salty food and alcohol also cause dry scalps.It is necessary that you also work on a proper diet like using fish oil to eliminate dandruff. Increase your Omega-3 fatty acid intake and drink plenty of water.
- Vitamin B deficiencies cause dryness. Don’t have enough Vitamin B6 & 12 in diet? Poof, dry flakes appear! Boost your intake of Vitamin B by consuming more vegetables, fruits, whole-grain breads, cereals and supplements such as flaxseed oil, zinc et.
- Medicated Shampoos & Conditioners- Try medicated shampoos & conditioners available over the counter. Get shampoos containing zinc pyrithione, selenium oxide, ketoconazole, etc. Oils enriched with coal tar, zinc, salylic acid are also beneficial. Before buying shampoo, know the type of your scalp first if it is dry or oily.
- Visit Doctor– If self-help is not enough, it is time to visit the dermatologist. Your health condition maybe a reason for a dry scalp!
SOME HOME REMEDIES FOR DANDRUFF
Dry scalp problem can be happen around the year but this commonly occur in winter due to lack of water and moisturizer or sometimes it causes of dehydrated sebaceous gland. Dry scalp problem creates awful itchy and the main reason of fallen hairs and ruff boring hairs.
Dandruff has poor expression which decreases the grace and elegance of personality. It is badly harmful for hairs. Nobody can compromise with hairs’ beauty and especially ladies are much conscious about their natural’ beauty of silky, shiny & healthy hairs that can spoil from dry scale infection. People relay upon different home remedies, cosmetic products and special hair treatments to get rid of dandruff. Talking about this context we gave also something mention worthy. You have no need for going expansive cure because there are best favorable natural homemade treatments those will entirely get rid your daily facing scalp problem.
Let’s take about these fantastic dandruff prevention tips which will save your hair elegance and their beauty.
APPLICABLE TO DRY SCALP REMEDIES:
1. Milk, honey and extra virgin oil
- Milk- ½ cup
- Honey- 2 tbsp.
- Extra virgin olive oil- ½ cup
Usage: Mix it all up. Apply on hair for a few hours. Wash hair with a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.
2. Vitamin E oil, Olive oil and Shea Butter
- Shea butter – 1 cup
- Olive oil – 1 cup
- Vitamin E oil – 1 tbsp
Usage: Heat up shea butter in a double boiler. Add the olive oil and Vitamin E oil to the concoction. Mix well. Let it cool down a little bit, then apply on hair and wait for half an hour, covering head with a warm towel. Rinse later. Use this remedy twice a week.
3. Fenugreek or methi
Fenugreek or methi seeds can also help reduce the occurrence of dandruff. It has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties which help banish the white flakes.
- 2 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- Soak methi seeds in water overnight.
- Grind them into a paste in the morning.
- Add apple cider vinegar to the paste and apply on your scalp.
- Leave it for 30 minutes and then wash off with mild shampoo.
- This will help relive itchy and dry scalp too.
4. Banana and honey
Usage – Mix banana and honey together to form a paste. Apply on scalp and keep it for 30 minutes. Rinse off with cold water. It moistens hair and is a very effective home remedy.
5. Neem juice, coconut milk, coconut oil and beetroot juice
- ¼ cup neem juice, coconut milk and beetroot juice
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Mix all the ingredients together and massage the pack into the scalp.
- Wash it after 20 minutes with a herbal shampoo and conditioner.
- Do this once a week to see results. Click to reap in other beauty benefits of neem.
6. OLIVE OIL
If your scalp problem is due to winter drier then olive oil or coconut oil is best key to incorporate dry scalp because this oil has quality to absorb of scalp. Almost seven days, regularly massage from natural oil that will get rib seasonally scalp trouble.
Take two to four table spoons of extra virgin olive oil and if you desire add 10-15 drops of essential oil of your choice into the oil.Warm the oil a little bit in microwave for few seconds.
Wet your fingers with the warm oil and massage it into your scalp and apply it onto your hair to cover till ends. Let the oil remain on your scalp for around 15 minutes.
Shampoo your hair with the above home made hair wash or any herbal or chemicals free shampoo of your choice and rinse your hair thoroughly with lukewarm water.
7. Apple cider vinegar
This natural product apple cider vinegar is superb way to add shine your hairs that finishes dandruff from hair.
Make a mixture of ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar, 2 drops of suitable oil & 4 cups of water. After wash your hairs, rinse with this natural liquid mixture.
- Mix half cup of water with half a cup of apple cider vinegar.
- Use this to massage your scalp / hair.
- Leave for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with shampoo (tea tree oil based is preferred).
Process – 2:
- Rinse your hair with water.
- Dip a cotton ball in an apple cider vinegar solution.
- Apply on your scalp and leave for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Rinse again with water.
- Repeat twice a week.
Process – 3:
- Boil 3 cups of water and a handful of rosemary in a saucepan.
- Stir well and cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain.
- Allow to cool and add 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar and 10 drops each of the essential oils rosemary and peppermint oil.
- Mix it well and pour into a spray bottle.
- Use this to spray after washing your hair.
- You can either rinse it off or leave on.
8. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is most beneficial miracle plant that can use numerous patterns. Here, I share the use of aloe vera for hairs that nourishes your hairs health, shine and protect from damage and dryness. Get aloe vera market gel or bled its’ fresh herbs and add few drops of tea tree oil and rose water, blend it with spoon and cover from it serum your scalp part.
- Apply aloe vera juice to your scalp as often as needed.
- Leave without rinsing out.
- Make sure the juice doesn’t contain added sugar.
- If you have an aloe vera plant, you can use the juice from this.
9. Honey with Olive Oil
Honey acts as anti-inflammatory and anti-viral which is effective to treat a dry scalp.
- Warm 1/2 cup of virgin olive oil then mix with 2 teaspoons of honey.
- Apply this on your scalp and massage gently.
- Let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse off with herbal shampoo.
- Use a hot towel to cover your scalp which helps to hold the moisturizer very effectively.
Process – 2:
- Mix 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons of pure vegetable glycerin and 2 tablespoons of pure honey.
- Shampoo your hair and apply the above mixture as a conditioner.
- You can also combine honey with your usual conditioner as 1 part honey with 2 parts of conditioner.
- Repeat this process regularly.
10. Egg yolk& oil
Weekly, motorize your hairs with blended egg yolk and few drops of olive oil or any natural oil. This home treatment always keeps your hairs healthy, glossy and length &will prove as an anti-virus from dandruff.
11. Lemon juice
The juice of lemon squeeze is best remedies for control dandruff or itchy. Massage with 2 table spoons of lemon squeeze in your scalp & leave it for few minutes. Repeat this process once or twice times weekly.
Or you may have this procedures:
Lemon has both antiseptic and moisturizing properties. It also removes excessive dead cells.
- Squeeze a fresh lemon to get the juice.
- Add honey and mix well.
- Massage gently on your scalp for a few minutes.
- Rinse off with shampoo and water.
- Warm a cup of coconut oil and then mix in a few drops of lemon juice.
- Apply to your scalp and leave for at least an hour.
- Wrap your hair in a warm towel for a while.
- Remove and wash your hair.
- Or you can use lemon juice by mixing it with other essential oils.
Fuller’s Earth moisturizes hair naturally. When combined with lemon juice and coconut oil it works very effectively.
- Whisk a teaspoon of each lemon juice and coconut oil with a cup of fuller’s earth.
- Apply this paste on your scalp and leave for at least an hour.
- Rinse your hair with water and shampoo.
- Repeat the remedy regularly.
12. Coconut oilCoconut oil treatment is matchless for get rid of dandruffs. Take some quantity of coconut oil and massage it at your scalp for 1 hour. Then wash your hairs. It will bring fabulous result. It will moisturize your hairs and enhance the shiny effect of your hairs.
13. Baking Soda
For having itch froe scalp gain our kitchen is matchless place. Wet your hairs and then rub a handful of baking soda and massage it at your scalp. Skip their shampoo and directly wash your hairs. It will reduce fungus which makes a cause of dandruff. Your hairs can be dried at first but it daily repetition it will be generate soft and flake free hairs.
14. MOUTHWASH FOR DANDRUFFS:
Alcoholic based mouthwash is also best for prevention of dandruff. Wash your hairs with regular shampoo then wash your hairs with your mouthwash. Then apply conditioner top further soothe shine. Its anti fungal prosperities will help you in prevention from dandruff.
Though not a natural remedy, it is definitely a quick way to get rid of dandruff. Aspirin contains salicylates – an active ingredient in most dandruff shampoos that contain salicylic acid.
You will need:
- 2 aspirin tablets
- Crush the tablets. Add it to any normal shampoo.
- Let it lather and keep it on for 5 minutes.
- Wash your hair. If you feel the aspirin powder on your scalp, rinse again with plain shampoo.
FOR OILY SCALP
A few reasons for the excess secretion of sebum are:
Genetically inherited scalp condition.
Excess intake of oily food.
Use of contraceptive pills which may lead to hormonal imbalance.
Mental fatigue due to stress.
Hormonal changes taking place during the menstruation cycle.
In the morning, you have dry hair, but as lunch time approaches, the hair turn oily and sticky. You have tried virtually everything in the book, right from using curls to hairbands, nothing seems to work.
–Take 3-4 tsp. of Baking Soda Powder.
–At the time of Showering/ Bathing apply the baking soda to your scalp and hair and massage.
–Massage your scalp for half a minute and then leave the baking soda in the scalp and hair for 2 minutes.
–Rinse with warm water.
–Alternatively, You can add 1 tsp. of baking soda to shampoo and use it to remove dandruff flakes from your scalp and hair.
Repeat 2-3 times a week.
The citric acid in lemon juice helps dry out the oil in your scalp.
–Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon.
–Set aside 1 tbsp of juice to be used later.
–Apply the rest of the juice to your scalp and hair and leave it 2 minutes.
–Rinse your hair with normal water.
–The 1 tbsp of juice left with 1 cup of warm water.
–Rinse your hair with this mixture to remove stickiness & dandruff and for conditioning & shine.
Repeat this daily for a week to 10 days.
The acid in the apple juice will help dry the oil on your scalp. Apples have enzymes that eliminate dead skin cells that further causes scalp flakes
Repeat every other day until the oily scalp and and dandruff are gone.
Aloe Vera gel to cure dandruff
Aloe Vera clears damaged skin cells and repairs damaged skin. It fights helps get rid of dandruff flakes so the scalp can heal. Aloe vera gel also contains antibacterial and antifungal properties which further assist in the healing process.
(Optional): You can also add a few drops of lemon to the Aloe Vera Gel before applying.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can also cure greasy dandruff and prevent oily scalp. Using apple cider vinegar helps restore the acid/alkaline balance of the scalp.
–Take 3-4 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar and mix with equal quantity of water.
–Apply it to your hair and massage and then let it dry.
–Rinse it with normal water if needed.
–Alternatively, apply 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar directly to scalp.
–Leave in for about an hour then shampoo out.
Henna (Mehndi) & Soap Nut Powder (Reetha)
–Mix 8 tbsp of henna & 2 tbsp of Soap Nut Powder (Reetha)
–Slowly add water and mix to make a thick paste.
–Apply to your scalp and hair with a Brush for even distribution.
–Leave for 30-45 minutes.
–Rinse with normal water
In case you have discolored or grey hair, or have used hair color please be advised that Henna can stain your hair with its own inherent shade and may be avoided in such cases.
Use natural Anti Dandruff Shampoo that works wonder for oily dandruff. While this may not be feasible because of various reasons, one of the best and easiest ways of avoiding your scalp from turning oily is to wash your hair daily with a very mild shampoo. You don’t have to wash your entire hair; simply shampoo your scalp and the greasiness is taken care of. Don’t forget to use a conditioner or the dryness will lead to over secretion of the oils.
If you don’t have the time to shampoo your hair every day or don’t like the idea of washing hair daily then switch to using dry shampoo for the in-between days. Dry shampoos have been around for quite some time and they require to be sprinkled on the roots of the hair. The particles of the dry shampoo absorb the oil from the scalp making it appear less oily.
Talcum powder works much like a dry shampoo in reducing the oiliness of the hair. Sprinkle the talc on a narrow-toothed comb and brush the comb through the roots to the tips. Take care to use only a little amount of the talc or you will end up with white color on your hair. However, don’t use this treatment very often since you must wash the talc from hair the next day.
Do Not Use Styling Products
Most of tend to go overboard in the use of hair styling products like gels, creams and mousse because we feel that using these will help better our hair. The truth is that they will only make your hair look good but in truth they are very damaging to your hair. Besides, using hair styling products too often tends to make the scalp greasy and oily.
Avoid Heat Styling Products
Women use hair straightners and curlers very often to style their hair; the heat from these products is damaging to not only the hair but also the scalp. The heat from these products destroys the natural oils present in the scalp thereby prompting the scalp to produce more oil. This makes the scalp all the more oily or greasy. Limit the use of heat products to once in 10 days.
Changing your diet can greatly change the condition of your hair or scalp and promotes healthy hair growth.
- Eat foods like leafy vegetables, fruits, eggs, whole grains etc. to get the right proteins.
- Omega-3 s is found in cell membranes of the scalp skin which hydrates the areas. Salmon, walnuts, flaxseeds, spinach etc. are rich in Omega-3.
- Consume food which is rich in Vitamin B and C.
- Include the foods which are rich in zinc and iron.
- Dry scalp can occur due to nutritional deficiencies, like that of B6 and B12. Vitamin B is a good dry scalp remedy, as it improves production of melanin, which not only provides moisture to your dry scalp but is good for hair color also. Have a good nutritious diet by consuming more of fruits, vegetables and whole grain breads. If required, consider taking supplements, like flaxseeds, zinc, selenium and multi vitamins.
- Do not overtake Vitamin A in excess as it can make the problem worse.
- Intake of caffeine and alcohol should be avoided.
- Include food which contains vitamin E in your diet like almonds, sunflower seeds, blueberries, tomatoes etc.
Tips to Prevent Dry Scalp:
- Use moisturizing shampoo and conditioner to prevent dryness.
- Use shampoo and conditioner which is free from alcohol chemicals like Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, which is the main ingredient used to make liquid dish wash detergent.
- Use shampoos and conditioners which contain tea tree oil.
- Over styling your hair (curlers, straightness, blow drying) also causes dry scalp, so reduce the amount that you do this.
- Massage your scalp regularly with vitamin B and E oil, lavender oil or almond oil to increase the blood circulation and helps to prevent the dryness.
- Use baking soda as a conditioner by adding few drops of water to it.
- The most effective dry scalp treatment is not to use hot water for washing your hair. Use instead water as cool as you are comfortable with.
- Use shampoos and conditioners that are meant for dry scalp and dry hair, containing essential oils and herbs.
Scalp Massage: The most effective dry scalp treatment is Scalp massage. Give yourself a gentle scalp massage with your fingertips as you shampoo or while doing deep conditioning or giving hot oil treatment to your scalp.
> This stimulates production of sebum (natural oil) and increases blood flow to your scalp and therefore the hair follicles get more nutrients.
> A gentle massage open up your scalp pores and loosen the flakes and dead skin cells, so that they are easier to wash off.
> Make it a habit to massage your head once or twice in day for a couple of minutes each time. You can also use a battery operated massage device for this purpose.
> You can use lukewarm olive oil for massaging your scalp. Other essential oils you can use for this purpose are rosemary, basil, nettle, camellia, lavender or vitamin E oil. Massage a little quantity of any of these oils onto your scalp once or twice a week and let it be on your scalp for as much time as is available with you then wash it off. You can also consider applying oil before sleeping at night and rinse it off in the morning. You can cover your pillow with a towel so as to not to stain your pillow.
> Olive oil is full of many nutrients for the hair and contributes to hair growth. Lavender has good cleansing properties.
If your dry scalp conditions still persist even after following above dry scalp home remedies, you are advised to consult your dermatologist as this can be due to some underlying medical reasons.
Disclaimer: cloudmind.info does not guarantee any specific results as a result of the procedures mentioned here and the results may vary from person to person. The topics in these pages including text, graphics, videos and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only and not to be substituted for professional medical advice.
Women’s Dry Hair & Oily Scalp Treatment