1/2 c. butter
3/4 c. sugar
2 c. all purpose flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. milk
4 pcs. eggwhites
1/2 of cubed cheese
Cream butter then add half a cup of sugar gradually. Add the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the milk and set aside. Whip the eggwhites and remaining sugar until fluppy and fold into the first mixture. Spoon into the moulder, top with cheese and steam for 20 minutes or until done.
Optional: You may add a pinch of cream of tartar to the eggwhites when you whipped them just because it will always gave them better stability. The first mixture will be very thick so fold in a little of the meringue first to thin it a little before folding in the rest.
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 6 ounces evaporated milk
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- mini puto molds
- Prepare lower part of steamer with water and bring to a boil.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder. Mix well.
- Add eggs on at a time and using an electric mixer, beat after each addition. Add milk and beat until smooth. Add water and continue to beat until batter is thin and smooth. Add butter and vanilla extract. Stir until well blended. Add ¾ of the cheese and stir until combined.
- Fill molds with batter up to ¾ full. Arrange molds in a single layer on steamer rack and place over steamer. Lower heat to medium and steam puto for about 8 to 10 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Turn off heat and top each puto with the remaining ¼ cup of cheese. Cover for about 1 minute to allow residual heat to melt cheese. Allow puto to slightly cool before removing from molds.
- 4 cups rice flour
- 1-1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 (13.5 ounces) can coconut milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- non-stick cooking spray or melted butter
- In a bowl, sift together rice flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add coconut milk and stir until blended. Add water and stir until blended.
- Lightly spray insides of puto molds with non-stick cooking or lightly brush with melted butter. Pour puto batter into molds until ¾ full.
- Arrange filled puto molds in a single layer on steamer basket. In bottom part of steamer, add water and bring to a simmer. Place steamer basket over bottom part. Wrap lid of steamer with cheesecloth or any cotton material (to prevent condensation from dripping onto puto) and cover steamer. Steam puto for about 10 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to slightly cool and gently remove puto from molds.