Stretch marks are visible lines on the skin surface, with an off-color hue. Stretch marks are mainly found in the abdominal wall, but can also occur over the thighs, upper arms, buttocks and breasts.
Stretch marks are a chronic complaint of many a post-pregnancy mom or anyone who has achieved a substantial weight loss sudden gain or loss in weight, rapid growth, heredity factors, stress and changes in physical conditions. While nothing will completely remove them short of surgery, there are treatments that you can use to greatly reduce their appearance. Creams and lotions for stretch marks abound in the pharmacy aisles but here are some remedies to try at home before you run out to purchase expensive serums.
DIY Stretch Mark Treatments
1. Try Oil Therapies
Proper hydration and moisturization are key to reducing the appearance of stretch marks. Using all-natural oils that you likely have in your home can produce much desired results:
● The Beauty of Olive Oil: Women for centuries, especially the Mediterranean areas, have heralded olive oil for its skin beautification properties. Try regularly rubbing stretch marks with olive oil after you bathe.
● Vitamin E Can Be the Key: Break open some vitamin E capsules and apply to the affected area directly to see pleasing results over time. Vitamin E is a proven skin aid for not only stretch marks but scars as well.
● Essential Oil to Please All of the Senses: Try adding a few drops of lavender oil or other flower or herbal oil to coconut oil or olive oil for a pleasing scent while you treat your stretch marks. Lavender also works as a natural sleep aid as well.
.Castor Oil: Castor oil, which is used in the treatment of a number of skin problems such as wrinkles, age spots, moles, dark spots, fine lines and pimples, can also be used to get rid of stretch marks.
- Apply some castor oil to the stretch marks and gently massage the area in circular motions for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Wrap the area with a thin, cotton cloth. Using a hot water bottle or a heating pad, apply some heat to the affected area for at least a half an hour.
- Repeat this process daily for a minimum of one month to notice positive results.
2. The Magic of Aloe
Whether you buy a plant for its medicinal uses or you purchase a bottle of it already extracted, aloe works on scars, burns and stretch marks. This proven ancient skin healer is a sure fire way to improve skin condition without oily residue.
Aloe vera is effective in the treatment of many skin problems. Its healing and soothing properties can be used to get rid of stretch marks. There are a couple of ways to apply it.
- You can directly rub aloe vera gel on the affected skin area, leave it on for 15 minutes and then rinse the skin with lukewarm water.
- Another option is to make a mixture with one-fourth cup of aloe vera gel, oil from 10 vitamin E capsules and oil from five vitamin A capsules. Rub this mixture onto the skin until fully absorbed. Repeat this process daily.
3. Rub on Some Cocoa Butter
Most of the store bought remedies contain this all-natural emollient. Cocoa butter is luxuriously soft and has amazing skin healing benefits. Regularly rubbing some all over will increase the appearance and health of your skin, along with improving the areas where stretch marks are present as well. You can find cocoa butter in the moisturizer section of the pharmacy.
4. Good Old H2O
Skin health depends on your regular water intake. Since the skin is comprised mostly of water, it doesn’t take much depletion to leave it looking drawn, adding to the negative characteristics of stretch marks. Most nutritionists and physicians recommend getting your daily dose of 8-10 glasses a day.
4. Lemon Juice
Another simple way to lessen stretch marks is to use lemon juice. Lemon juice is naturally acidic which helps heal and reduce stretch marks, acne, and other scars.
- Rub fresh lemon juice gently onto the stretch marks using circular motions. Allow the lemon juice to soak into your skin for at least 10 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
- Another option is to mix equal quantities of cucumber juice and lemon juice and apply the mixture on the stretch marks.
Natural white sugar is one of the best natural remedies to get rid of stretch marks. You can use the sugar to exfoliate your skin.
- Mix a tablespoon of raw sugar with some almond oil and a few drops of lemon juice. Mix it well and apply it on the stretch marks and other skin areas.
- Gently rub the mixture on the skin for a few minutes every day before taking a shower.
- Do this for a month or so and watch your stretch marks become lighter.
6. Potato Chips
Potato juice contains vitamins and minerals that foster growth and restoration of skin cells.
- Cut a medium-sized potato into thick slices.
- Take one of the potato pieces and rub it gently on the stretch marks for a few minutes. Make sure the starch from the potato covers the affected area.
- Allow the potato juice to dry for some time and then wash it off with lukewarm water.