FOOD: This Man’s Entire Body Was Left Riddled With Live Worms After Eating This Popular Raw Food

FOOD: This Man’s Entire Body Was Left Riddled With Live Worms After Eating This Popular Raw Food

DAILY JOURNAL: Sushi, nigiri, sashimi, maki, uramaki, temaki… all sounds yummy to you? If you are one the millions of sushi lovers out there who swears that they’re all cool if sushi would be the only food on earth, well, this warning is for you.

Many would agree that sashimi is the most expensive and most delicious part of a sushi menu, but be careful indulging yourself with too much sashimi as one man from China nearly faced death because of his love for sashimi.

The Chinese man went to the doctor complaining extreme stomach ache and itchy skin. He underwent series of tests and one scan revealed that his entire body was infected with tapeworm which he acquired after eating too much sashimi or raw slice of fish.

According to the doctors, the man may have consumed a contaminated popular Japanese uncooked delicacy of raw meat or fish. Studies show that consuming excessive raw or uncooked fish may lead to different parasitic infections.

Tapeworm develops after eating the larvae of diphyllobothrium. This are normally found in freshwater fish such as salmon, but sometimes even marinated and smoked fish can also transmit the worm.

Dr. Yin of Guangzhou No. 8 People’s Hospital (where the sashimi lover patient got admitted) says that eating uncooked food contaminated with tapeworm may lead to an infection called cysticercosis. Such infection is life-threatening especially when it reaches the brain.

Meanwhile, doctors writing for Canadian Family Physician said that, “The widespread popularity of Japanese sushi and sashimi (slices of raw fish) is a contributor. But other popular dishes might also be implicated, such as raw salted or marinated fillets – which originate from Baltic and Scandinavian countries – carpaccio – very thin slices of raw fish common in Italy, raw salmon and ceviche – lightly marinated fish.”

While raw food contaminated with tapeworm has increasing cases in poorer areas due to poor sanitation, cases from much developed countries have also increased.

Video owned by Whistle Blower

Published on Dec 31, 2016

►Chinese man went to his doctor with stomach ache and itchy skin
►Scans revealed his entire body had been infected with tapeworm
►Doctors say this is due to the large amount of raw fish he had eaten
►Cases such as this have increased due to the soaring popularity of sushi

Sushi Lovers, Beware: Tapeworm Now Found in U.S. Salmon


But risk of infection is low, infectious disease doctor says


THURSDAY, Jan. 12, 2017 (HealthDay News) — In bad news for sushi lovers, scientists have confirmed that a tapeworm known to infect salmon from the Asian Pacific is also present in fish from U.S. waters.

The parasite, known as the Japanese broad tapeworm, can grow up to 30 feet long in the human body, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Most people who become infected have no symptoms, the CDC says. But some suffer abdominal pain, diarrhea and weight loss. Over time, the infection can also lead to deficiency in vitamin B12.

On the brighter side, infection with the tapeworm appears to be uncommon: Only around 2,000 cases have been reported in humans — mostly in northeastern Asia, according to Roman Kuchta, the lead researcher on the new report.

The first known human case in North America was recorded in 2008, said Kuchta. He’s based at the Czech Academy of Sciences, in the Czech Republic.

Now his team has confirmed that the tapeworm is present in wild pink salmon from the Alaskan Pacific. The findings are published in the February issue of the CDC’s journal Emerging Infectious Diseases.

The risk of contracting the tapeworm from your sushi is low — but it exists, said Dr. Amesh Adalja, a spokesman for the Infectious Diseases Society of America.

“When you’re eating uncooked fish — or other raw foods, like unpasteurized milk — there is some inherent risk,” said Adalja, who’s also a senior associate at the University of Pittsburgh’s Center for Health Security.

That risk is not limited to tapeworms, he noted. Foodborne pathogens include bacteria, viruses and other parasites.

People who love their sushi and ceviche may not be moved to give it up. But, Adalja said, it’s important to be aware that tapeworm infection is a possibility.

“So if you do develop unusual symptoms that can’t be explained, you could mention to your doctor that you eat raw fish,” Adalja said.

The infection is treatable with medication, he said.

According to the CDC, two drugs, called praziquantel (Biltricide) and niclosamide (Niclocide), are the main ones used to kill the parasite.

The new findings are based on an analysis of 64 wild salmon, from five different species, caught off the Alaskan coast. Samples of pink salmon were found to harbor Japanese broad tapeworm larvae.

How worried should raw-salmon lovers be? According to Kuchta, the tapeworm infection is usually not “dangerous,” causing problems such as abdominal pain and diarrhea in about 20 percent of people infected.

But, he said, in rare cases, “massive infection” can cause an intestinal obstruction or gallbladder inflammation.

Plus, a tapeworm that grows to its full “adult” length consumes a lot of vitamin B12, said Dr. Patrick Okolo, chief of gastroenterology at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City.

“That can lead to a vitamin B12 deficiency, which has neurological consequences,” Okolo said.

Those consequences can include numbness, tingling, balance problems, and trouble with thinking and memory.

Okolo agreed that any tapeworm risk from raw salmon would “clearly be small.”

But, he said, doctors might want to consider the possibility of a tapeworm if a patient’s vitamin B12 deficiency cannot be otherwise explained.

Okolo also suggested a safety measure for people who make raw-fish dishes at home: Freeze the fish for a few days, which will kill any parasite.

More information










What are your thoughts?