Puto Flan or Puto Leche
For the flan:
• 4 egg yolks
• 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
• 2 teaspoons of calamansi or lemon juice (1 teaspoon if using extract)
• 2 cups of all-purpose flour
• 4 teaspoons of baking powder
• 4 egg whites
• 2/3 cup of white sugar
• ½ teaspoon of salt
• 1 ¼ cup of water
1. The flan has to be made first. The procedures for doing it are simplified. Combine egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk in a bowl. Thoroughly mix until the mixture gets an even consistency and color. Add calamansi or lemon juice and continue mixing for a few minutes.
2. Prepare the molds by putting a little grease (using oil or optionally, caramel) into each. Fill about a third of each mold with the flan mixture.
3. Steam all molds in medium heat for about 20 minutes or until the flan is cooked. Using a toothpick, you may check if it is already solidified, an indication that it is ready for the next procedure. Set the flan aside.
4. Proceed to make the puto component. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a bowl. Mix slowly.
5. Add water and egg whites into the dry puto mixture. Continue mixing for a few minutes.
6. Add this mixture into each mold with cooked flan. Steam all filled molds again for another 15 minutes (medium heat) or until puto has notably risen.
Take all molds from the steamer and set aside to allow those to cool down. Remove each puto flan from its mold before serving in a plate or a box. Ideally, puto and flan should stick together.
Or Choose another drops of food color and molder (same recipe)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon butter (soften)
1 beaten yolk
1 1/2 cup fresh milk or evaporated milk
1.Combine the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder then sift it.
2. In a mixing bowl combine together the sifted ingredients, egg, butter and milk then mix very well until the batter is smooth in texture. Set aside.
These are the ingredients for flan mixture:
1 cup condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh or evaporated milk
Mix all the ingredients for flan until fully blended.
To assemble the puto flan.
1. Put water in the steamer and bring to a boil.
2. Fill each molder with 1 tablespoon of the flan mixture then steam for 5 minutes or until done.
3. Put a tablespoon of puto mixture over the cooked flan and continue to steam for 7 minutes or until done.
4. Let cool before un-molding, then serve.